douganderson

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Ruth Gordon

Ruth Gordon.

So much more than "Harold and Maude." We corresponded in her later years. Like Geraldine Page, she was a mentor to me, always encouraging in her notes, and loved acting.

Her stage appearances were varied and strong, in contrast to the eccentrics she played on screen. Besides Mary Lincoln; not so eccentric as psychotic. And boring roles in "Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet." Or the flavorless secretary in Garbo's,"Two-Faced Woman." Garbo left the screen after that one, but Ruth sailed on, playing memorable performances in the theatre. ("A Doll's House," below.)

"The Three Sisters," with Judith Anderson and Katharine Cornell.

Years later came Minnie Castavet in "Rosemary's Baby," which won her the Oscar. A perfect blend of eccentricity and acting talent, in a perfect role for her. Also a writer, she penned the films "Pat and Mike" and "Adam's Rib" for Tracy & Hepburn, along with husband Garson Kanin.

But the writing I loved was in her autobiographies, "My Side" and "An Open Book." Not only did I get a glimpse of the actor's life from the early part of the 20th Century on, but her positive, never say die philosophy influenced my life.

"On the twenty-first of August, 1977, a Sunday, at 6:40 A.M., I looked for an answer and got it: "At eighty-one years old," I asked myself, "do I have to do it? I mean any and every old thing that arises?" "Do it if you like to" came the answer. How far would I go with that?

First, to make it work, I braced up my intentions. I intend to make it work. Intention has been going for me for a long time, I got started in 1912, but what counts is what you decide on today. Decide to have intention. I'm a believer in today...

Intend it.

Notify your built-in confidence.

Work on it.

Do not face the facts.

Keep your bowels moving.

Walk, think.

Whare are you? Maybe you're there."

- "My Side" by Ruth Gordon.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Interesting post!

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said…

    Wasn't it she who said that "the audience always give your correct billing as they leave the theater?"

    Cheers,

    Mr. H.K.
    Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
    And I Quote Blog

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ruth Gordon is part black and here is her descendants up to her:
    Parthenia
    Brand PENDARVIS
    Joseph PENDARVIS
    Ann PENDARVIS
    Nathaniel Daniel Ziegler
    Jacob Aquila Ziegler
    Mary Ziegler
    Ruth Gordon Jones

    It is proven (Ruth Gordon has a Pendarvis descendent) on http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/famous/vansallees.html. I am not joking!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home