douganderson

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Fringe


No, not this kind.



This kind.

I've been hard at work mounting "Isn't it SARCASTIC" once more for the Philly Fringe. Something's getting mounted and I think it's me.

I haven't performed since May and now it's 4 months later. I'd played the show for two weeks then so I got to know it well. But now there's been a big hiatus and who the hell knows what will come out. I like to work in an improvisatory way. I like playing to the audience. But any play, especially a one-man show, needs to follow those pesky things like light and sound cues. I go off on a riff and then suddenly I'm not only driving the lighting guy nuts, but if I get off the track, who knows where my balloon will touch down. Makes for an interesting show every night.

I've done legit theatre, I've done cabaret shows where you sing a bunch of songs. But I think my talents are best displayed in a forum where things are very loose. Then I can do my own Kathy Griffin. "Life on the P-List" ("P" for Philly...or any other "p-word" you can think of. And while there are a handful of Philly people who are getting skewered, ya run out of those pretty quick. I used my tales of celebs I met growing up (see posts below) in this piece -- so after this autobiographical show I'll just have to move to new victims.

So watch out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home